Wireless control, Astounding results.Introducing Kuhl
After more than two years of R&D and rigorous testing , we unveiled Kuhl. The line has cooling-only models and models with heat (heat pump or electric heat) in a full range of capacities. And, Kuhl is available in ENERGY STAR®-qualified models. Our Sizing Guide and Specifications by Model will help you select the appropriate cooling and/or heating capacity.
Everything about these category-leading units is designed for maximum quality, ease and control. From the 20-gauge steel cabinet and fully enclosed fan motors to the 7-day programmability and LCD lockout, Kuhl is the ultimate in room air conditioning.
Call a distributor and put Kuhl to work in your commercial space. Our North American factory is only hours from our distribution center not overseas for fast delivery.
- Kuhl Control.
Rugged, easy-to-use controls let you customize or keep it simple
Kuhl has four operating modes that put full control in your hands, from manual to energy-saving 7-day programmable settings.
Manual: Use the unit controls or remote to turn the unit on and off and to adjust the temperature.
7-day Default Program: Pre-set to ENERGY STAR® recommendations. Optimizes energy saving at night when the building is unoccupied.
7-day Custom Program: Set up to four comfort settings per day and a shut-off option when the building is unoccupied.
Wired to a wall thermostat: For hard-to-reach installations or spaces with hot spots. The wall thermostat operates the unit and overrides the unit control panel.
For additional energy management and cost control, the LCD lockout feature prohibits occupants from changing your desired temperature setting.
To ensure long-term ease of use and durability, we put the electronic controls through rigorous testing.
- Kuhl Components.
Superior components and construction. Attention to every detail.
Every aspect of Kuhl is ultra-premium, outside and in, down to the tiniest component. Constructed with only the finest-quality materials, Kuhl is extremely durable and designed to withstand tough use in virtually any commercial setting.
Outside: Kuhl s exterior is designed to prolong unit life.
- Heavy 20-gauge steel cabinet
- Solid sleeve top protects the fan from debris
- Distinctive rear aluminum grille protects the unit from damage and vandalism.
- Aluminum endplates prevent rusted condensate from pooling in the drain pan, and eliminate rust stains on buildings.
Inside: You ll find some of the most sophisticated, wear-resistant components inside every Kuhl.
- Robust, totally enclosed fan motors run at lower temperatures to prevent overheating.
- Sealed controls enhance durability.
Plus, Kuhl s firm-grip interior handles make it easy to grasp the chassis during installation and removal.
- Kuhl Efficiency
From programmability to the refrigeration system, Kuhl is designed to reduce energy consumption.
- Auto Fan mode saves money by conserving energy
- ENERGY STAR®-qualified models, including all four heat pumps
- 24V low-voltage interface for wall thermostat or energy management control
- Environmentally-friendly R-410A refrigerant used in all models
- High-tech rifled copper tubing and slit fins have greater surface area for maximum heat-exchange efficiency.
- Kuhl Quiet
Gaps, insufficient insulation, and improperly mounted moving parts can contribute to operational noise. We designed Kuhl to minimize noise-causing vibration, outdoor noise intrusion and operating noise, while maintaining optimal air flow. Every unit has these important noise-reduction features:
- Motor mount: The dual resilient rings prevent the metal-to-metal contact that causes noise and vibration
- High-efficiency compressors: Mounted on extra-thick rubber grommets that absorb vibration
- Solid-steel blower wheel housing: Provides maximum sound reduction
- Steel inner wall, insulated plenum, heavy-duty hardboard side panels and extra dense insulation: Blocks outdoor noise
- Air discharge: Wider openings and better airflow design minimize airflow noise
- Kuhl Purity.
Kuhl's advanced dual-stage filtration system removes allergens, odors, ozone and other impurities from the air. By combining the optional carbon filter with the standard antimicrobial filter, Kuhl achieves lab-tested superior air filtration with ratings as high as MERV 6. Use the fresh-air vent and the exhaust vent for additional air-quality control.
When both vents are closed, Kuhl cleans and conditions the air in your space. Open the fresh-air vent and Kuhl purifies and conditions a moderate amount of outdoor air along with the air in your room. Use the exhaust vent to release stale air and odors outside.
- Kuhl Comfort.
The most comfortable temperature is the one you never notice. Kuhl uses five built-in environmental sensors to more accurately monitor indoor and outdoor temperatures so that it can maintain your ideal settings.
Kuhl+ models have the ability to cool or heat as needed so units can operate as year-round central systems. And, like the most advanced central systems, Kuhl+ has auto-changeover, which allows the unit to automatically switch between air conditioning and heating functions to maintain the desired comfort level. You won't have to lift a finger.
Plus, Kuhl's air flow systems are tested for powerful and precise air distribution which means faster cooling when you need it most.
- Kuhl Testing.
Rigorous testing, ongoing quality control
Before Kuhl hit the market, we carried out a punishing battery of tests in a UL-certified lab. We continue to test, refine and improve because our commitment to quality and to our customers demands it.
- Airflow: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and validated empirical testing, including infrared thermography and smoke-trace analysis, to ensure maximum, uniform, directionally correct airflow
- Capacity and Energy Efficiency: Confirmed in accordance with AHAM RAC-1 and DOE test requirements
- Carbon filter: Gas Phase Capacity Test, VOC removal per IBR TM P300
- Compressor: Stress tests for reliability
- Electronic control hardware and software: Hardware systems endured extreme short-circuit, over-and-under voltage, high temperature, radiated emissions and electromagnetic pulse-spike susceptibility. Software tested using regression methodology to ensure logic and control states are achieved as designed.
- Filter Capture: Efficiency rated per ASHRAE Standard 52.2
- Louvers: Cycle-tested for reliability
- Packaging: Shaken, dropped, crashed and transit-tested to prevent damage during shipping and handling; results exceeded ISTA standards
- Refrigeration and mechanical system: Accelerated life tests in extreme environmental conditions and at abnormal cycle rates simulated long-term use and measured durability
- Sound performance: In accordance with ARI 350 sound-performance rating of non-ducted indoor AC equipment
- Unit field testing: Provided customer feedback on real-world applications for constant product/production improvements
- Unit safety: Tested to UL requirement 485-Standard for Safety of Room Air Conditioners, including electric heater overload, rain penetration, high pressure and other factors
- User Handles: Finite Element Analysis and load-testing to ensure that unit weight is fully supported by built-in handles
Ready to get comfortable" Locate your nearest Friedrich dealer to experience Kuhl for yourself and find the model that best suits your needs. Can't wait to start looking" Review specifications for our full range of Kuhl models to discover the best unit for your room size.
Kuhl is a deep line with cooling capacities from 8000 Btu/h to 3 tons. Its unique features take comfort and energy efficiency to a new level. Easy to handle and install, Kuhl can cut maintenance time and costs.
Our team of engineers worked closely with our commercial sales division to design a unique package of features for commercial applications. It s that attention to detail that makes Kuhl the choice for commercial-grade cooling. Kuhl offers:
Available in cooling-only, cooling plus electric heat and cooling plus heat pump models
- Better energy management: Program up to four distinct temperature settings per day for seven days to keep energy consumption and costs under control, particularly when spaces are unoccupied. Kuhl can be operated using the unit s LCD control panel, remote control or a central thermostat. Plus, the LCD settings lockout feature prohibits occupants from changing the temperature.
- Auto-changeover feature for convenient comfort in all seasons: Kuhl+ heat (electric heat or heat pump ) units switch automatically between cooling and heating to maintain a comfortable temperature during shoulder seasons and in spaces with wide temperature swings.
- Cooling for any space: Unlike many manufacturers, we give you a full range of capacities in one line. Kuhl can cool a single room or large commercial space efficiently and cost-effectively, so there s no need to install an expensive central system.
- Improved air quality: Kuhl s larger vent openings provide superior fresh-air intake and stale-air exhaust. The optional premium carbon filter used with the standard antimicrobial filter has filtration ratings as high as MERV 6 while absorbing odors and reducing ozone and VOCs .
- Easier installation and maintenance: Kuhl s firm-grip handles and slide-out chassis make installation and removal much quicker. The on-board electronic maintenance indicators and error code storage take the guesswork out of identifying and addressing issues. We even include the nut driver needed to install the front cover.
•Comfort and Durability
- Cooling from: 7900-36000 Btu with up to 11.7 EER
- Heating: 7500-23500 Btu
•Sound Reduction Technology
- Commercial-grade durability
- Advanced programmable 7-day thermostat
- Significant energy saving over standard controls when programmability is used to optimize ON/OFF schedule and temperature
- 24-hour timer
- 4 cooling and 4 fan-only speeds*
- Automatic fan speed adjustment
- Comfortwatch technology samples the air to more accurately maintain the set temperature
- 8-way air-flow control
- Auto-changeover on models with heat
- Temperature readout can alternately display set temperature, room temperature, outdoor temperature or digital clock
- LCD panel automatically dims if not in use
- LCD settings lockout option (ON/OFF) prohibits occupants from changing temperature
- Unit may be wired to a wall thermostat (such as Friedrich RT6) for easy access to controls when unit is installed in an inaccessible location
- Scratch-resistant cabinet
- Auto restart, long-term flash memory saves settings. Clock is backed up by 7-year battery.
- Sealed control panel protects from dust, moisture and contaminants
- Control module is separate from touch controls for better protection from the elements, abusive handling or accidental damage, and to minimize repair costs
- Premium remote control allows user to activate schedule, adjust temperature and fan speed or select auto-fan
•Maintenance and Installation
- Extra-thick rubber grommets absorb vibration and reduce noise inside
- Steel inner walls and extra dense insulation block outdoor noise
- Precision engineering and unique airflow path maximize air flow while delivering ultra quiet operation
- Vibration-isolating design and components diminish traditional operating sound levels
•Health and IAQ
- Electronic maintenance indicators include check filter reminder and error code storage
- Sleeve dimensions have remained the same for 20+ years for easy replacement
- Slide-out chassis for more permanent installation and easier access for maintenance
- Unit installs in a window or through a wall
- Unit includes heavy duty window installation hardware (optional accessory on Kuhl+models)
- Rugged hardboard side panels for a more permanent installation
- Power cord can run either left or right
- Defrost control protects coil against freezing
- Firm grip handles for easier chassis installation and removal
- Nut driver included for front cover assembly
•Safety and Security
- Washable antimicrobial air filter
- Optional premium dual-stage carbon filtration system removes allergens, odors, ozone and other impurities from the air
- In lab testing, combining the optional carbon filter with the standard antimicrobial filter achieved a superior air-filtration rating as high as MERV 6, reducing ozone and VOCs Link to Accessories
- Superior fresh-air intake and stale air exhaust vents offer additional air quality control
- Electronic indicators include check filter reminder and error code storage
- Hinged door for easy filter access
•Unique Digital Control System
- EntryGard anti-intrusion protection deters kick-in intrusions by securing the unit in the sleeve with a steel retaining wire
- LCDI power cord current leakage protected
- Unique aluminum grille protects unit from damage
- Insect barrier
•Energy Management & Compliance
- Precision control over all Kuhl's functions
Kuhl + Air Conditioner / Heater
- Auto Fan mode saves money by conserving energy
- Ozone-friendly R-410A refrigerant
- RoHS compliant
- 12 ENERGY STAR® qualified models, including all Heat Pumps
- Recyclable packaging
For spaces needing heat in addition to cooling, we offer Kuhl+ Electric Heat and Kuhl+ Heat Pump models. Kuhl+ has all the features of Kuhl with these heating benefits:
- Up to 23,500 Btu heating, depending on unit capacity
- Fully programmable heating mode
- 3-speed settings each for fan, cooling and heating modes
- Auto-changeover mode switches automatically between cooling and heating
- Heat Pump models use reverse cycle operation to heat more efficiently and consume approximately one-third of the energy of an electric heater model in temperatures above 39° F
- All Heat Pump models meet or exceed ENERGY STAR® guideline
* Kuhl 8,000 Btu/h-23,500 Btu models only